April 17-19, 2019
We have added 3 days to Level 2 as many of you have asked. April 17 will include a joint day with Level 1 and focus on new information and sharing of information. Learn more about implementing the Equipping Minds Curriculum through Equipping Minds Level 2 Certification. Registration includes the 2018 Equipping Minds Cognitive Development Curriculum for teachers and students. If you already have the workbooks, special discount code: HAVEBOOK Lunch is provided.
- 8:00- 9:00 Shannon Ebbers Nutrition and Brain Development You are what you eat, digest, and absorb. But what if one or more parts of that process aren’t functioning properly? And what does the food we eat have to do with how your brain functions? Diet can have a huge impact on one’s ability to learn, process, and store information, and is an integral part of a holistic approach to improved cognitive function. Shannon will discuss the implications of diet as it relates to children with special needs.
- 9:00- 10:00 Ann Maura Hinton Equipping Minds through Trauma-Informed Lens and Interventions Participants will learn how trauma and stress impact behavior, social skills, communication, and learning. Ann Maura will share the best practices from the leading experts in the field.
- 10:00- 12:00 Dr. David Lindemann: Hope and Healing from Trauma: Integrating the Cognitive and Physiologic Aspects of Growth and Healing Participants will learn how the physical and sensory issues can be addressed simultaneously with cognitive maturation using a combination of verbal and reflexive tools.
- 12:00-1:00 Lunch Provided
- 1:00- 4:00 Dr.Carol Brown: Integrating the Equipping Minds Cognitive Development Curriculum in the Classroom, Small Group, Learning Center, Workplace, Adult Living Center, Church, After-School Program and Home: Break out Sessions for homeschoolers, educational therapists and classroom teachers and interventionists.
- 4:00-5:00 Rafaele Joundry: Importance of the Auditory System and how Sound Therapy can Rehabilitate the Ear and Impact Learning Sound Therapy is a unique listening system using new knowledge about the brain. The Sound Therapy program is designed to work synergistically with other treatments, meaning that both methods enhance each other. Based on the discoveries of the ear specialist, Dr. Tomatis, the Sound Therapy method developed by Patricia and Rafaele Joudry is specially recorded programs of highly filtered classical music are used to rehabilitate the ear and stimulate the brain. Sound Therapy stimulates the ear by presenting it with constantly alternating sounds of high and low tone within the complex structure of classical music. Stimulation via the sensory pathways re-maps the brain, improving the way we understand and process sound. The brain, in turn, sends signals back to the ear to improve its function. As the ear becomes open and receptive to high frequency sounds these are then passed on to the brain. Research has shown that brain function is improved through high-frequency sound. Participants will also listen to sound therapy.
Thursday, April 18 8:00am-5:00pm Level 2
- 8:00- 9:00 Dr. Carol Brown Results of Equipping Minds Research Study and Contributions to Precedent Literature The five peer-reviewed journal articles in the Journal of Alternative Medicine Research will be discussed as well as the book Human Development: Equipping Minds with Cognitive Curriculum. Participants will discuss the results of the research study in detail.
- 9:00-10:00 Clayton Brown: Study Skills Clayton will share his study skill methods which are based on how the brain learns. He will explain the importance of scheduling, calculating the number of pages to read, 4 colored highlighting methods, writing and project guidelines, and the use of sound therapy for attention and processing.
- 10:00-12:00 Dr. Carol Brown: Conducting an Evaluation/ Dynamic Assessment Learn how to access your learner’s strengths and challenges. Understand how and when to integrate exercise, nutrition, vision therapy, sound therapy, neurodevelopmental/ movement therapy, vestibular therapy, and cognitive therapy.
- 12:00-1:00 Lunch Provided
- 1:00 -2:00 Dr. Carol Brown Writing Recommendations and Understanding Psychological Testing Participants will learn how to write up the results of the evaluation from the assessment, intake questionnaire, and learning screening.
- 2:00-4:00 Dr. Carol Brown: New 2018 Equipping Minds Cognitive Development Curriculum Participants will go through the entire workbook with a special addition to the new format and expansion of the classroom connections, n-back description, four-page overview, and sample sessions. Participants will learn advanced steps for the exercises as well as additional exercises in the workbook not covered in Level 1.
- 4:00-5:00 Dr. Carol Brown: Classroom Connection of Curriculum Participants will learn how to use Equipping Minds throughout the school day. Implementation of Critical Thinking Activities, Perplexors, Grammar, Writing, Spelling, and Auditory Processing.
Friday, April 19 8:00am-5:00pm Level 2
- 8:00-10:00 Dr. Carol Brown Modifications and Questions Carol will demonstrate numerous modifications that she has used with learners with more severe neurodevelopmental disorders. There will also be a time for participants to ask questions regarding the implementation of the program.
- 10:00-11:00 Dr. Carol Brown Conducting Workshops for Groups and Classrooms Participants will learn how to conduct an eight-week workshop for community/church groups and how to implement in small groups and large classrooms in a public, private, or homeschool coop environment.
- 11:00-12:00 Faith Berens Understanding the Impact Equipping Minds has on Reading Faith will discuss how to help educators and parents know when to implement Equipping Minds for students who are not progressing with traditional phonics.
- 12:00-1:00 Lunch Provided
- 2:00-5:00 Dr. Carol Brown Practicing the Brown 6-9 N-Back Steps and Games Participants will demonstrate their ability to use the program.
*Level 1 Certification and Level 2 Certification in Equipping Minds Cognitive Development Curriculum for those who attend all three days and display competence in the implementation of the program. A certificate of attendance will be provided for all participants who attend all sessions for CEU and PD Credits.
Who Should Purchase? The Level 2 Certification class is open to all who are already Level 1 certified.
Location? Frankfort, Kentucky or join us LiveStream or purchase the USB recordings
I have been working in the field of education for over 35 years. I have a master’s degree in education and have accumulated five certifications over the years. Of those, the certification that I prize most highly is my Level 2 Equipping Minds Certification. Equipping Minds is the most powerful and versatile program that I have ever used. It enables me to strengthen specific cognitive functions effectively and efficiently without a dependence on academic ability (required by other programs) that hinders the progress of so many students.
I gained many insights from my Level 2 training. One insight that has proved invaluable in planning each session is the importance of “struggle”. I used to be discouraged when a student struggled when some exercise seemed harder than I thought it should be, or my student didn’t perform as well as expected. Now, it is that struggle for which I aim. Without struggle, there is no progress, no change. If there is no struggle, I have missed the mark entirely and have been ineffective. Thank you for showing me the supreme importance of learning to struggle well!
I also want to thank you for the incredible versatility of Equipping Minds. I can use the same Number Hunt page for my little first-grade student and for the gifted college student. With innumerable mutations possible, each page becomes a powerful tool for each student no matter the age or ability level. I have witnessed incredible growth as students learn to not only engage in the struggle of conquering an exercise but to also engage in the creativity of generating a mutation that is harder still. To hear a student say with great enthusiasm, “Do you know what would really be hard…?” is rewarding indeed. In using Equipping Minds I am limited only by my own imagination; it keeps me growing and stretching.In short, I just want to thank you for this incredible program and the powerful Level 2 training that has revolutionized my educational therapy.
God bless you and God bless this great endeavor,
Conference Description: Equipping Minds Cognitive Development Curriculum Level 2 equips educators, therapists, parents, and other specialists who have completed Level 1 into a deeper understanding of the Equipping Minds Cognitive Development Program. You will expand your knowledge of the theories of Structural Cognitive Modifiability, Mediated Learning, the role of primitive reflex & neuro-developmental therapy, nutritional therapy, sound therapy, vestibular therapy, vision therapy, and cognitive developmental therapy. You will be provided with a proven set of exercises in these areas through a hands-on approach. This conference is designed for those who want to implement this program into their private practice, learning center, school or home. You will learn a holistic approach to increase cognitive skills for learners of all ages and abilities with modifications for those with severe disabilities.
Course Objectives and Learning Outcomes
• Participants will learn how whole person wellness relates to cognitive function and how mind and body health effect brain development. The benefits of nutritional therapy and the effects of gluten, processed foods, and other inflammatory foods will be discussed.
• Participants will learn seven primitive reflexes, the symptoms associated with each, how to test, and how to integrate. Understand the difference in retained and integrated reflexes, the regression that can occur with trauma, medical conditions and learning disabilities which are associated with each reflex. Learn modifications for children and adults with physical limitations. Discuss the connection to visual processing in depth.
• Participants will learn how to conduct an evaluation by watching Dr. Brown conduct a “mock evaluation” in a role-play situation.
• Participants will learn how to do a nine-week workshop and how to implement in small and large groups in private, public, and homeschool classrooms.
• Participants will learn study skills to enhance the retention and application of information.
• Participants will learn modifications to use with learners with severe neurodevelopmental challenges.
• Participants will learn the research behind Equipping Minds Cognitive Development Curriculum and neuroplasticity. The five journal articles which are published in the Journal of Alternative Medicine Research will be discussed and made available as well as the book Human Development: Equipping Minds with Cognitive Curriculum.
• Participants will learn advanced cognitive training exercises in visual and auditory processing, working and long-term memory, attention, comprehension, executive functioning, logic and reasoning beyond the Level 1 training.
• Participants will learn how to use the 2018 Equipping Minds Cognitive Curriculum workbook and the ROSES program.