Equipping Minds Recommendations
For optimum results we believe a holistic approach is the most effective. The visual, auditory, and vestibular systems must be receiving and processing the information quickly and accurately. The information then goes to the brain where working memory is needed to think about the information, use it, and send to long-term memory. It is also crucial to visualize letters, numbers, and objects for reading/spelling, math, and comprehension. Critical thinking, visual-spatial and perceptual reasoning needs to be strong as well.
1. Cognitive Therapy Exercises- one on one using “Equipping Minds Cognitive Development Curriculum.” Cognitive therapy is a fully integrated system of drills and training exercises that are delivered in an intense, one-on-one environment, and are designed to attack and rapidly correct weak or underdeveloped cognitive learning skills. It is not designed to tutor or teach students academic subjects, rather it will develop the underlying skills required to learn effectively. Cognitive skills – auditory processing, visual processing, working and long term memory, comprehension, logic and reasoning, and attention skills – are fundamental to a person’s ability to receive, process, and retain information. The training program strengthens these skills allowing the student to learn efficiently. The Feuerstein Instrumental Enrichment will be included.Individual sessions are $30 for 30 minutes/ $45-45 minutes/ $60 for 60. It is recommended to meet 5 days a week for 12-16 weeks and 60 hours. The cost can range from $1,800-$3,600. We do payments plans with no interest. *Some families work with our educational specialists initially and then do the sessions on their own with periodic support. A special needs ministry fund is available on a case by case basis through our non profit. The Teacher workbook/ Student workbook/ 8.5 training DVD are $349 if you do it on your own. If you work with our specialist: a student workbook can be purchased from Equipping Minds.
You should also purchase the following from Amazon: games ( Blink, Set, Stare Jr.2nd or 3rd edition, Spot it ( any version) Color Code, book (Yo Millard Fillmore) unifix linking cubes in red, blue, black, yellow,green, orange, brown, and white. There are other games listed in the workbook to order later.
2. EYE Q Advantage: The eyeQ™ program was developed to engage more of the brain when reading or learning. The eyeQ™ training strengthens the eye-brain connection, enabling users to see and process information faster while improving the eye’s ability to track efficiently. The eye exercises strengthen all six sets of eye muscles and generally increase peripheral vision, which is why athletes love eyeQ™! Athletes not only improve their vision but also their reaction time. Near sighted users generally see an improvement in their vision and may need to have their eye glasses adjusted.EyeQ™ is an effective tool for: Brain Enhancement, Reading Improvement, and Vision Therapy. www.eyeqadvantage.com. You would order directly from EYEQ. www.eyecanlearn.com is a free online program which can be used.
3. Neuro-Development Intervention:Primitive Reflex Movement Therapy starts with the testing and integration of the Primitive Survival Reflexes. These reflexes help provide the newborn with learning experiences which act as a foundation for more complex muscle movements and later cognitive tasks. The reflexes are integrated in a sequential fashion from 3-11 months. Lack of integration of these reflexes past 6-12 months can interfere with cortical and cerebellum processing and affect learning, movement and attention. The visual motor system is intimately involved in the transition from primitive reflexes to cortical cerebellum control of movement patterns. By replicating the stages of development, the neuro-pathways can be opened allowing for treatment to be successful. Per Sally Goddard, in Reflexes, Learning, and Behavior, “most education and many remedial techniques are aimed at reaching higher centers in the brain. A Neuro-Developmental approach identifies the lowest level of dysfunction and aims therapy at that area. Once problems there have been remedied, it attempts to build links from lower to higher centers through the use of specific stimulation techniques. Maintaining Brains Everyday DVD should be done daily for 6 weeks. You can also order the Maintaining Brains Everyday DVD or USB from Equipping Minds SHOP for $35. Watch www.brainhighways.com to understand more about the primitive reflexes.
Also, purchase The Symphony of Reflexes by Bonnie Brandes on Amazon.
QRI™ – QUANTUM REFLEX INTEGRATION is now available at our office in Frankfort, KY.
QRI is a program of low level laser therapy on specific acupoints and reflex patterns to achieve reflex integration. Reflexes are the body’s primitive response, forming in utero, and are supposed to activate during certain developmental milestones and then integrate. When reflexes are not integrated fully or not at all, this can affect cognition, movement and behavior.Using reflex integration, QRI has been successful in addressing many cognitive, behavioral, and physical challenges, which include but are not limited to, learning disabilities, autism, strokes, cerebral palsy and Parkinson’s disease.
4. Sound therapy:Sound Therapy is a unique listening system using new knowledge about the brain.The Sound Therapy SYNERGY program is designed to work synergistically with other treatments, meaning that both methods enhance each other.Based on the discoveries of the ear specialist, Dr. Tomatis, the Sound Therapy method developed by Patricia and Rafaele Joudry is now available as a portable self help program that can be used by anyone, anywhere.Specially recorded programs of highly filtered classical music are used to rehabilitate the ear and stimulate the brain. Sound Therapy stimulates the ear by presenting it with constantly alternating sounds of high and low tone, within the complex structure of classical music. Stimulation via the sensory pathways re-maps the brain, improving the way we understand and process sound. The brain, in turn, sends signals back to the ear to improve its function. One theory suggests that this feedback loop results in better performance of the middle ear muscles and of the tiny, hair-like receptor cells in the inner ear.As the ear becomes open and receptive to high frequency sounds these are then passed on to the brain. Research has shown that brain function is improved through high frequency sound. There is an increase in blood flow to certain centres along with increased electrical activity. The results observed in Sound Therapy listeners include increased energy, reduced fatigue with improved focus and creativity, a reduction in the need for sleep, and an almost permanent state of peace and relaxation.www.soundtherapysynergy.com $299 young child/ $399 older child $599 adult or the family program includes all 3 for $999. You can order directly from Equipping Minds SHOP.
5. Vestibular Therapy– Dr Levinson’s pioneering research has revealed an important piece in understanding Learning Disabilities, ADHD and ADD, Dysgraphia, Anxiety,Dyspraxia, Phobic and Mood Disorders. Most importantly, a simple and safe combination of “inner-ear enhancing” medication, meclizine, and nutrients can rapidly and often dramatically improve the above disorders and hundreds of diverse symptoms — all resulting from a previously hidden fine-tuning or signal dysfunction of inner-ear or cerebellar-vestibular (CV) origin.Please watch the DVD’s on our website regarding the Vestibular System and Dr. Levinson’s work. His website is www.dyslexiaonline.com. Many individuals benefit from an anti-motion sickness supplement such as meclizine. We recommend the 12.5 white tablets. You can purchase the Rugby brand from Amazon. Begin with 6 mg in the morning and afternoon and gradually increase. Please discuss the dosage with us. If you are on other medications, discuss this with your doctor.
6. Classroom Connection with Equipping Minds Once the underlying cognitive skills are strengthened, the academic skills become easier. Though we do not train specifically in math, English or other academic subjects, the students are taught to make the connection to those subjects through vocabulary development, visualization of letters for spelling and reading, oral and written expression, reading comprehension, attention skills, study and outlining skills, and visualization of numbers for math facts and math sense. All of these skills are required throughout life. By improving and automating these skills, the key to learning fast and efficiently is discovered. The Equipping Minds specialist can provide support in writing and curriculum selection if needed.
- Cognitive Exercises 30-60 minutes a day via Skype with our staff $30- $45- $60 a session. Recommend 60 total hours. Individual sessions are $30 for 30 minutes/ $45-45 minutes/ $60 for 60. It is recommended to meet 5 days a week for 12-16 weeks. The cost can range from $1,800-$3,600. We do payments plans with no interest. A special needs ministry fund is available on a case by case basis through our non profit.
- Maintaining Brains Everyday DVD/or Download Beginner Level 15 minutes a day at home. Purchase from Equipping Minds.Also, purchase The Symphony of Reflexes by Bonnie Brandes on Amazon.
- Sound Therapy 1 hour a day. It can be worn during the cognitive exercises, while reading, relaxing, swinging, or while sleeping. Purchase from Equipping Minds.
- Eye Q Advantage or EyeCanLearn 10 minutes a day if needed.
- Meclizine twice a day if needed. Consult Dr. Brown on dosage recommendations.
- Classroom Connection as needed
Dr. Carol Brown